A great day was had by all at the Ultimate High
Young people came up with the idea to have a day out to do some fun and positive activities during half term.
The boys sat down with a member of staff during a Thursday generic session and had a discussion on what they would like to do, what the cost would be involved and who would be interested.
They decided it would be a “boys” day out and it would be a positive way to spend their time during half term doing an activity instead of roaming the street in Barnstaple during that week.
From a youth work point the activity ticked a lot of boxes. To name just a few:
- Increased levels of physical activity and fitness
- Promotion of mental health and emotional well-being
- Improved self-esteem and ability for goal setting
- learning of social skills (e.g. interpersonal, negotiation and listening skills)
- The ability to appraise risks,of problem solving skills,development of presentation skills
- reduction in anti-social behaviour that affects others
- A Place to have a good time with your friends and keep out of trouble
For me It was a great opportunity to build positive professional relationships with the young people attending that day. The group as a whole are good fun, but have their moments and challenging at times within the hub as well in the community.
For young people and staff attending it was a great day out. They, communicated, laughed, supported each other, worked well as a team and had loads of fun.